potty training?
How do you know when it is time? I feel like we go so back and forth with things. I still don't feel like she is ready, but then she is so interested in the whole process and does it sometimes.
In this pic she was sitting on the potty for atleast 20 minutes, so I left the room to do other things with Aubrey. When I heard her banging around in there I went to investigate. She had went in her potty-yay, and then as you can see had some fun with the toilet paper. Couldn't get frustrated though as she did it!
Any advice would be gladly appreciated. Neither Corey or I are really ready for it yet, but is she? Don't want to hold her back, but don't want to draw the process out or make it a battle. Thanks everyone!

2 Comments:
We went through similar issues with Mackenzie. She would *almost* be totally trained, and then something would happen (travel, illness, etc.) and we'd slide back to the beginning of the whole process. Then, finally, 3 weeks ago, she just decided on her own that she was ready and she's been going on the toilet ever since. I almost can't believe how easy it turned out to be, because it was quite the struggle before. It might have been spurred on when I ran out of pull-up diapers and had to resort to putting her in Giselle's "baby" diapers until I could make it to the grocery store, but I don't know for sure. So now, she wears "big-girl undies" all day and then a pull-up at night, but she's only woken up wet twice.
I'm not an expert (just a very lucky mom since it was easy for us) but I'd recommend just continuing to follow her lead - she's interested and doing it all on her own while in total control - I think when there's pressure and expectations it can backfire and that's when you have the struggles - let her sit when she wants, as long as she wants, celebrate the successes and shrug it off when she pees in a diaper after sitting on the toilet for 20 min... give her tons of choices related to the potty to boost her control and confidence ... do you want to wear a pull up or a diaper? a diaper or underwear? do you want to try and use the potty now or in 5 minutes? do you want privacy or someone to keep you company? do you want to read a book or look at a magazine? we also had a small toilet, and the seat that goes on our toilet, so that was another choice. giving her tons of choices, all related to the goal, made her feel in control but guided her to the results we were hoping for and cheering her toward. i think the turning point for knowing she was ready and we were actually "doing it" (since we were just patiently waiting and wondering until that point) was when she was very consistently using the potty for about a week straight with very few accidents- then we went to underwear during the day, pullups at nap/bedtime, and structured potty times to keep accidents around the house to a minimum.... going out in underpants was the next step, and much easier then i was psyched up for it to be. i think you're totally going in the right direction and because of the extra element of a baby in diapers, you're going to save yourself a lot of grief if you let her go at her own speed. good luck!!
Post a Comment
<< Home